- 1. When your pet leaves a surprise mess on your hard-surfaced floor, Seventh Generation disinfecting wipes are perfect for cleaning 99.99% of household germs. Vinegar & water solutions do a fabulous job as well. I use 50% water and 50% vinegar and add a few drops of lavender, rosemary, thyme or eucalyptus essential oils.
- 2. Use baby wipes to clean paw pads. I keep a package of BabyGanics wipes near the back door to wipe off dirt and grime before it makes its way onto the floors. Believe me, this will save you time and effort all winter and on rainy days. Alternatively, I keep a stack of inexpensively purchased washcloths. I dampen them, wipe each paw, and throw the cloths into the laundry.
- 3. Did you know that your pet can be be just as sensitive to scents and ingredients as you are? Stick with a gentle detergent for their bedding, towels and any pet clothing. . Do wash bedding before you use it especially if it comes from China. They spray products with chemicals and insecticides that are harmful for your pets. Regular bed washing also removes dander and pet odor from your home. Ecos makes an effective and environmentally friendly detergent. I add 1/4 cup of Borax to my machine since that helps reduce odor and boosts my detergent's effectiveness.
- 4. Cats and dogs love looking out the window. Their wet noses and paws definitely leave a mess. Stick with a non-toxic window cleaner like a half-and-half mix of vinegar and water for streak-free finish. When they ultimately lick the Windows again, there will be no Chemical and color residue left behind as with store bought products.
- 5. I discovered chlorine free bleach by seventh generation for carpet stain removal. First remove as much of the solid residue as possible and blot excess moisture. Use 1 part chlorine-free bleach and 3 parts water to create a spot-treatment and apply directly to the stain. Let sit for 10 minutes. Rinse with water. Repeat if required. Finish by blotting the area with a dry cloth. (Always spot test in a hidden area when using a new cleaner on your carpet!)
- Bissell makes a fabulous portable cleaner for a upholstery, carpet and area rugs, pillows, and just about any fabric that can be soiled by pets. I use a vinegar and water mix or the seventh generation chlorine free bleach formula. For a really tough pet stains, go to your local vitamin shop, and purchase some digestive enzymes. Break up in the tablets or capsules, crush them, and add them to the water mix. Helps to digest residue from unpleasant stains.
Jan 11, 2018
Choosing the right cleaning products for your home is as important for your pets as it is for your family. You don't want toxic chemical residue on things your children use. Pets are just as important and their small size makes them more susceptible to health problems caused by toxin exposure. Here is a list of tips to help you clean without being worried about your furry children.