By rethinking this plan’s master suite and communal areas a new layout improved the home on several levels. A revised plan creates view corridors, frees up space for a larger, more usable rear patio, and trades an isolated formal living room for a multipurpose area in the heart of the home. Located just off the kitchen, this new space provides a room for laundry, homework, computing, and art projects. It can be public or private. The resulting floor plan opens the home, making it appear much larger. Using the same roof structure yet creating an outdoor porch really helped in reducing costs. That freed up dollars for exterior upgrades and nicer finishes throughout the home. It's always best to spend money where it can be truly appreciated. The finer points of the plan:
- Focusing more on workstations than a work triangle, the revamped kitchen provides room for several cooks.
- The original laundry is replaced with a mudroom, pantry space and electronics chargers.
- Courtyards and patios now accommodate a seating area.
- A laundry/hobby room encourages shared chores and family bonding.
- The new master bath trades the big tub for a level entry shower and a better defined dressing area.