LYNN MORRIS INTERIORS: Innovative design solutions for bath, kitchen & home & garden. Get inspired & find advice on design & decor. Visit our marketplace @ www.tot-home.com. Images used are credited to: Entirely Design, Getty Images, Houzz, BH&G, Country Living, Remodelista, iVillage & vendors with featured products
Rev up more than just your campfire with a lantern that brings out the best of the summer heat. These lanterns made from thin paper, driftwood, perforated steel, and glass of every clear, ribbed and diffused variety use their subtle glows to capture the still of the warming nights ahead.
1. Fire Lantern by EcoSmart Unlike the other lamps, the Fire Lantern by Marc Philipp Veenendaal for EcoSmart uses its abstract cut-out pattern to shine brightly indoors or out with a burner instead of a bulb. It can be used in residential or commercial settings and shuts off by using the lid to put out its flame.
2. Hydrangea made from hundreds of ash veneer circles - the Hydrangea is a custom, made-to-order hanging lantern by Brooklyn-based designer Sarah Foote.
3. Japanese Lantern bu Fire Farm Lighting is a contemporary Asian-inspired design that includes a flower petal paper shade. The simplicity is intentional as it sits in its rust-painted structure filled with the light of a 100 watt bulb that filters through its curvy, diffused shade.
4. Natural Driftwood by Currey & Co.Small pieces of carefully picked driftwood wrap around the Natural Driftwood lantern’s illuminated interior by Currey & Co. Created as a natural and unfinished chandelier design, the hanging lantern comes with brown-tinted candles and a rust-finished wire structure to bring out a welcoming cabin feel.
5. Urban Camper by Chieh-Ting HuangHand-crafted lanterns that “draw on the symbolism associated with both Eastern and Western cultures” show how Taiwanese designer Chieh-Ting Huang went for simplicity and charisma in his Urban Camper lighting, also known as the ‘P Objects’ lighting. The series consists of adorable, colorful lanterns that are perfect for the picnic table near your backyard playground.
6. Futura by Boyd LightingFor use with either an incandescent bulb or fluorescent bulb, the water-jet cut metal fins of the Futura hanging lantern by Doyle Crosby surround its etched glass diffuser.This modern style lantern is available in several finishes, including Satin Copper (shown), Polished Nickel, Satin Nickel, Polished Copper and Antiqued Copper.
7. Season bynotNeutralThe perforated, graphic appearance of the steel-made, Season lanterns by notNeutral works wonders on adjacent surfaces when night falls. Using candles (which are included), the persimmon, black and white finishes available can accent paths, light up tables and make for a great evening, picnic at the beach atmosphere.
8. Chinoiserie byVaughanAppropriately resembling the imperial architecture of China, the antique Chinoiserie lantern by Vaughan is a modern rendition of a mildly-embellished light fixture from centuries past. Glass and gold accents with deep rust-colored strips wrap around its exterior showing ample transparency for an all-around glow.
9. Icosa by Fauna Using wool felt and a cord set, the Icosa pendant lamp by Ross Menuez takes on a lantern-like quality, inspired by Buckminster Fuller’s Geodesic dome. The felt allows light to flow out of its shaded shell like heat, warmly lighting up a space without the weighty drama of thick materials or metal.
10. Moroccan by St. Tropez Boutique In a handmade variety of hanging Moroccan pendant lanterns, the lighting manufacturer St. Tropez Boutique makes the light sparkle from within. Hang the small, glass-blown pendant lanterns solo or group them together for a dazzling effect.