1) Remove cabinet doors. ($0)
2) Paint the cabinet boxes. ($150)
3) Apply self-adhesive paper or wallpaper to the inside backs of the upper cabinets that will remain open.($40)
OPTIONAL: Install 1/4" clear glass. ($60)
4) Remove inside panels on lower cabinets and install fabric panels. You can staple fabric over the top as well but be sure your edges are crisp. ($80)
5) Replace knobs or pulls with new. Use big box stores for good-looking, well-priced hardware. ($40)
6) Install a new faucet. ($80)
7) Sand and re-urethane wood flooring or paint over existing vinyl with a floor paint. (Rental of sander varies, materials $35)
8) Replace a small section of your counter, or the island or peninsula counter with butcher block or other wood. ($500)
9) For laminate or tile counters, you can lightly sand the surface and apply an oil-based primer and oil color coat - black makes a great statement. ($50).
10) Add a new back-splash using 12" square mosaic sheets, ready-made bead board that you cut to size, or ($125)
If your appliances are older, a quick coat of appliance paint can make them look new. Have more to spend? Have stainless or wooden panels made for the dishwasher and refrigerator.