The perfect vegan stew for a cold fall night. This serves about three people when paired with a shredded cabbage salad or ladled over brown rice.
3/4 cup uncooked rye berries, soaked overnight in 1 1/2 cups water 3/4 cup uncooked red lentils 2 cups broccoli florets salt & pepper
Sauce: 2 T green curry paste, 2 cups almond or rice milk, 1 –2 tbsp nutritional yeast
Garnish: sliced green onions and black sesame seeds
1. cook the rye on low in covered saucepan in the water it has been soaking in. Use twice as much water as rye, stirring occasionally.
2. when the rye has started to soften (after about 1.5 hours or so) add the uncooked lentils and 1 cup of water.
3. cook for about another 20-30 mins, until the lentils have started to break apart. Add water if needed to keep mixture soupy.
4. add broccoli florets and cook until softened.
5. Begin cooking sauce by combining green curry paste and plant milk in a saucepan. Cook over low heat 5 minutes. If it gets thick add water. Let simmer for another minute and add salt or pepper to taste.
6. remove sauce from the heat and stir in nutritional yeast if using.