Apr 4, 2016
Spring Spruce up
1. Freshen up with a pattern. You can do this with draperies, Ottomans, pillows, accessories, and so much more. Do you have solid colors? Bring in florals, stripes, and prints. Got stripes? Add geometrics.
2. Add accessories in a different color or shape. How about a fabulous ceramic vase? Take a look at Target, HomeGoods, and Marshalls for pieces under $20. Check out our San Diego showroom too www.tot-home.com
3. Update a light fixture. Refreshing the finish with a can of spray paint is easy. How about a new shade? You can also change out the glass globes for something different.
4. Bring in pillows. This can completely change the look of your living or bedroom. Big-box stores have great selections for $17-$25 each. I went shopping with my client at IKEA and found fabulous options for under $15. Purchase just the pillow cover and use the fill that you already have.
5. Add a textured throw to your bed, sofa, or your favorite lounge chair for under $25. Found wonderful options at IKEA. You can bring them outside to keep you cozy when you enjoy a beverage on a nice spring night.
6. Paint a piece of furniture in a new color. You can buy 'oops' paint for $5 at Home Depot. Whether you already have the chair, nightstand, or find one at a garage sale, changing just one piece will make a style statement.
7. Set your dining table. Having your favorite dishes on display is pretty and useful. Mix them up for a creative and personal style. Place some bud vases at each place and add a candle or two and you'll set a beautiful scene.
8. There's just something about a candle that provides terrific ambiance. Use flameless candles since they don't need a candleholder, they're safe, and the realistic waxes look good by themselves. Most of mine even have timers that I set to go on at 8 and they stay on for four or six hours. Costco has a set of six creamy candles for $19.99 and there always seem to be good options at www.Amazon.com.
9. Bring in metallics. I love mercury glass, and the new votive holders in my shop are under $5. Pillows with beading are a fabulous way to bring some glam to your bed. One of my favorite ways to add sparkle is with a bowl of mercury glass orbs. For about $6 you can get a set at a craft store like Michaels and don't forget Pier 1.
10. Rearranging your furniture is a freebie. Reposition the largest piece of furniture first then work in your other pieces. That will make a big difference in how your room feels. Even swapping tables or nightstand from living room to bedroom and vice versa can create a totally different style.