Think white, crisp, comfortable, yet elegant. Cottage style is a clean look that you can dress up or down with color and other details. Here are some ideas to incorporate the look into your decor.
1) Rustic. Whether it's a piece of furniture, a basket, or a storage crate on your shelves, rustic creates texture and personality. Touch of Tradition has a wonderful collection of baskets, wooden boxes and iron accessories.
2) Metal. Copper accents, black iron lanterns, nickel cabinet hardware and distressed buckets are ideal accents. Try some open weave ornate metal chairs the the bar or kitchen table, even bringing an outdoor piece inside.
3) Woven fabrics. Cover your kitchen chairs with ticking fabric whose weave is subtle. Add throw pillows with flour-sack style fabric. Prints are often delicate and checks and plaids are abundant in window coverings.
5) Lighting. Metal and glass convey the perfect cottage style. Candlestick style chandeliers in black wrought iron are quintessential fixtures.
6) Furniture. White is always right. Distressed, aged, and even black are wonderful. Wicker is also used and often painted white.
7) Flooring. Oak flooring is most common and a wide plank style with some distressing adds warmth and character.
8) Paint. White rules, but soft hues of blue, green and yellow work well.
9) Accessories. From blue and white to china on display, objects d'art in a cottage home are simple and earthy. Made from natural materials like wood - for boxes and candlesticks; glass - for hurricanes, vases, and cloches, and iron - for candelabras, lighting and more. Visit the country section at A Touch of Tradition for some wonderful accessories.