Want to make some long-term design changes but only have one weekend? Try one of these ideas:
(1) Re-arrange a room. You can change the look and feel of your space by moving the furniture to different positions. Re-purpose pieces that are unused in one room - like small dressers and chests - and place in the 'new' room.Don't forget that function is more important than style.
|A stencil inspired buy the pendant creates a colorful border.|
(2) Paint ONE wall in your largest room. Use a color from your furniture or accessories to complement the existing decor. Choose wisely - an accent wall should not be broken up by windows or doorways or the impact will be less. Can't do a full wall? Try a stencil around the perimeter or around the canopy of your light fixture.
|A pair of similar pieces changes the wall.|
(3) Update the flooring with an area rug. It's OK to place a decorative rug on carpet (especially worn and dated carpet). Change the area rugs you have from one room to another for a new look.
(4) Change your art. Add a mirror, create a 'pair' of pieces, re-arrange one wall with a vignette of photos or art rather than one or two large ones. Buy some new art and frames at www.art.com.
(6) Hang new window coverings. If you have blinds, try adding side panels for softness and warmth. www.ikea.com has great pairs for under $40. Already have panels? Change them out, add trim, add tassels, change the rods. Going from heavy drapes to sheers will make a big difference in the space. Need blinds? The big box stores sell ready-to-hang and cut-to-fit blinds.