Nov 14, 2017

Chocolate Chia Bars

 I often have to eat "on the go" and don't always want to carry my ball jar oatmeal or salads. So I find myself  purchasing bars, that while packed with some of the right ingredients, are very expensive. At almost 3 dollars per bar it adds up.  When I make my own bars, I buy ingredients in bulk so have plenty to make more; the cost becomes less than a dollar per bar. These are easy to transport and don't need refrigeration for just a few hours. This recipe is modified from Choosing Raw. If you like the mix of sweet and salty - my sister introduced me to the mix - you can sprinkle on sea salt or Himalayan salt at the end of the process.
I find that in winter I add a bit more water to the mix but in summer I add a little less. 
INGREDIENTS
1 cup packed, pitted dates
1 1/2 cups raw cashews (you can use a nut or seed of your choice)
1/4 cup chia seeds
6 tablespoons cocoa powder
1-2 tablespoons water to help keep the mix together
Large sea salt granules – I grind my own Himalayan salt


PREPARATION
Place dates, nuts, chia and cocoa in a food processor or blender - with the correct blade – and blend until all of the nuts are finally chopped. Be sure you mix it all together because it is easier than having to take it out and do it by hand. Here's where I add one or 2 tablespoons of water to help it blend together. 
Scoop the mixture into a lightly greased rectangular baking dish. I use Pyrex since I prefer glass to metal and like how easily the mix goes in and comes out. Flatten the top and press down with a spatula.  The best bars will end up being about 1/2-inch thick. If you like the taste, this is where you will sprinkle sea salt lightly over the top and press it down into the mix so it sticks. I refrigerate this mix for approximately one hour, then cut into 12 bars. Since I use glass, and my pyrex has a cover, I simply place it in the refrigerator. If you use a metal baking pan, remove the bars carefully with a spatula – they might be sticky – and store in a covered container. Since I eat a bar a day, mine are  gone in 12 days. Refrigerated, your will last about 3 weeks.