Nov 7, 2014

Oatmeal in a jar


It's sometimes hard to eat healthy when you're always on the go. This is a solution for children and adults,  it's healthy oatmeal made in advance, even several days, that you can grab heat and eat! My personal favorites do not include sugar, but a dollop of honey. I also add a tablespoon of Chia seeds for extra protein.

1. Mix your rolled oats with an equal amount of your liquid of choice. You can use any combination of water, dairy or non-dairy milk, yogurt, or even juice; just stick with the same basic 1:1 ratio. If you’re using steel cut oats use more liquid. 

2. Mix in spices, sweeteners, or dried fruit you like into the oats and milk; cinnamon is great, raisins are standard, and apricots and nuts are fabulous.

3. I put mine into pint or jelly sized ball jars found at Walmart or on Amazon.com and let  the oats soak overnight. I usually make 3 to 4 days in advance for my husband and I. A nifty breakfast hack to try: Mix the oats in an almost empty jelly or peanut butter jar for added flavor.

4. In the morning, you can add fresh fruit and other toppings to your oatmeal. I usually add strawberries and BlackBerries the night before and they don't get soggy, but bananas need to be done at the time you eat.