If you love meat but you want to eat a plant based diet - vegan - for ethical and health reasons, this is a dish for you. You would not know that it's not meat because the flavor and texture are so good. Check it out.
FOR THE BBQ SAUCE:
* 1 cup ketchup or tomato sauce
* 1/2 cup brown sugar or agave nectar
* 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
* 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1-2 teaspoons hot sauce, to taste
FOR THE SANDWICH:
* 4-6 large carrots, julienned or spiralized
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1 small onion, minced
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* A few drops liquid smoke
* 4 buns or rolls
* Cole slaw (optional)
1. Combine the ingredients for the BBQ sauce in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes, taste for seasoning adjustments, and set aside.
2. Julienne or spiralize the carrots into thin matchsticks or ribbons. Heat the oil in a deep sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion and garlic until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the carrots and cook for 3 minutes until they start to soften.
3. Add the barbecue sauce to the pan and toss the carrots in it. Bring the sauce to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pan and let the carrots stew until they are soft and tender, about 10 minutes. Add a bit of liquid smoke to the carrots and cook for another minute.
4. Open four buns or rolls and pile on the pulled carrots. Spoon more BBQ sauce over the carrots. Top with cole slaw, if desired.