Nov 12, 2015
Ten Ways To Add Style For Under $100
It's not hard to add style or freshen up your home even if you're on a budget. Just like with your wardrobe, you can refresh your style with a new accessory, adding color, and just mixing things up a bit. Take a look at these ideas. Ten more coming tomorrow!
1. Freshen up with a pattern. You can do this with draperies, Ottomans, pillows, accessories, and so much more. Do you have solid colors? Bring in florals, stripes, and prints. Got stripes? add geometry. A rule of thumb in pattern matching is to watch the scale; mix a small pattern with the large one that you have and vice versa instead of keeping everything the same size. Keep the colors similar to make it easy or consider using complementary colors for more drama.
2. Bring in a new accessory in a different color or shape and make it a focal point. With the holiday season coming, it's great to add a mercury glass piece. Most discount stores have bowls, candlesticks and canisters for under $25. It will truly make a statement and add a bit of glamour. Don't like metallics? How about a fabulous ceramic vase? Take a look at Target, HomeGoods, and Marshalls for pieces under $20. Come check out our San Diego showroom too. www.tot-home.com
3. Update a light fixture. If you can't stand what you have, and refinishing with spray paint is not a good option, you can find nice fixtures in any style for under $100 at www.LampsPlus.com
4. Bring in some new pillows. This alone could completely change the look of your living room or bedroom. Almost all of the big-box stores have great selections for $17-$25 each. I went shopping with my client at IKEA yesterday and found fabulous options for under $15. There, you can purchase just the pillow cover and use the fill that you already have.
5. Add to throw to your bed, sofa, or your favorite lounge chair. For about $25, a wonderful textured throw will keep you cozy and make a chair or bed more inviting. I found some fabulous faux furs for $50 at www.Amazon.com and know that they'll make a great gift.
6. Paint an accent wall or a piece of furniture in a new color. You can buy 'oops' paint for five dollars a gallon at Home Depot. Whether you already have the chair, nightstand, or find from a garage sale, changing just one piece will make a style statement.
7. Set your dining table. Having your favorite dishes on display will make you feel wonderful. Use your every day or your holiday pieces. Mix them up for a creative and personal style. Place seasonal greens or findings – like acorns, pine boughs, leaves or pinecones - in a bowl or tray in the center. Add a candle or two and you'll create a beautiful display.
8. Add candles to table tops, your credenza, the mantle and even bookshelves. There's just something about a candle that provides terrific ambiance. Use flameless candles since they don't need a candleholder, they're safe, and the realistic waxes look good by themselves. Costco has a set of six creamy candles for $19.99 and there always seem to be good options at www.Amazon.com.
9. Bring in something metallic. I love mercury glass, and the new votive holders in my shop are under $5. Pillows with beading are a fabulous way to add silver or gold and be festive for the holidays. One of my favorite ways to add sparkle is with a bowl full of silver or gold ornaments. For about $6 you can get a pack at a craft store like Michaels. Mix in potpourri, greenery, to create a pleasing and seasonal display.
10. Rearranging your furniture is a freebie. Reposition the largest piece of furniture first work in your other pieces. That alone should make a big difference in how your room feels. Even swapping tables or nightstand from living room to bedroom and vice versa can create a totally different style.